culturally twisted cake
MAY 7 - WORLD CAKE DAY
November 26 - international Cake Day
Fun cake Facts
- Anthropologists discovered early cakes made with nuts and honey linked to Ancient Greece and Egypt.
- According to Google, “cupcake recipes” are the fastest growing recipe search
- Tallest cupcake tower held 18,818 cupcakes (Chennai, India).
- Covered in maple syrup panCAKES are Canada’s ‘iconic’ cake.
- World’s tallest cake prepared by students and staff (Jakarta, Indonesia) was 108 feet and 3 inches high.
- January 27th is National Chocolate Cake Day.
- any DAY IS A
GOOD cake DAY -
Maddie’s grandmother who she affectionately calls GG was born in England and grew up in France. GG shares her cultures with Maddie through stories and food. Their favourite french cake is the Charolotte Russe.
Maddie made Red Velvet cake with a Peruvian cultural twist using local cocoa nibs and chili spices when Jojo and his family came to their house for a taco dinner.
People have been enjoying Red Velvet cake since the 1800’s although the Waldorf Astoria in New York, NY makes claim to have made it famous.
You can find recipes online for Red Velvet cake with a cultural twist, as a pancake mix, or cupcake recipe.
Wynn’s favourite cake is Carrot Cake. See her 2nd birthday picture below along with a recipe to make carrot cake 4urDog.
What’s your favourite cake?
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c. (118 ml) creamy all-natural peanut butter
(NO SUGAR or ARTIFICIAL PRODUCTS)
- 1/4 c. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. (4.92 ml) vanilla extract
- 1/3 c. honey
- 1 c. or 227 ml shredded carrots
- 1 c. or 227 ml flour (white, whole wheat, or almond)
- 1 tsp. or 4.92 ml baking soda