Shrove Tuesday or Fat Tuesday
Photography courtesy of: JELLEKE-VANOOTEGHEM/UNSPLASH
Fun pancake Facts
- Pancakes are made and eaten in almost every culture.
- Origins of pancake date back to the Stone Age.
- Some people like them sweet, others prefer savoury.
- Pancakes also known as flapjacks, griddlecakes and hotcakes
- Highests recorded pancake toss is 9.47 m (31 feet 1 inch)
- Most tosses of a pancake in one minutes – 140 flips!
pancakes with a cultural twist
Decide on the type of pancake you want to make.
Check your pantry to determine what you might need to buy.
Consider how many people will be eating pancakes with you, or how many pancakes you want to eat.
Now do the math, this will determine the amount of each ingredient you will need.
- sweet or savoury
- topped or stuffed
- at any meal
- as a snack
what is CULTURALLY BRAIDED CUISINE?
What or who influences the type of pancake you choose?
Ready to try something different?
Some like them sweet. Others prefer savoury.
Frequently selected toppings include:
- fresh fruit
- measuring tools
- blender, mixer or whisk
- flat spatula or flipper
- frying pan: cast iron, crepe, non-stick, other
- c. = cup
- tsp = tsp
- tbsp = tablespoon
Tiered Crepe Cake
- Whisk, mix or beat together 4 broken eggs and 2 c. flour
- Gradually add 1 c. milk and 1 c. water
- Add 4 tbsp. melted butter, pinch salt, sugar (optional preference))
- Mix, whisk or beat until smooth
- Heat frying pan on medium (add small amount of oil or butter to avoid your crepe sticking to the plan)
- Pour enough batter to thinly cover bottom of pan
- Watch for small bubbles to appear or browning edges then lift + flip
- Let cool before decorating with your favourite frosting or topping.