International Pizza Day
February – 2nd Saturday
- Origins of pizza date back to ancient times; Greeks and Egyptians enjoyed!
- The word PIZZA was first documented around 997 AD in Gaeta, Italy.
- The Hawaiian Pizza was invented in Canada in 1962 by Sam Panopoulos.
- Over 5 billion pizzas are sold worldwide EVERY YEAR!
- The biggest pizza, prepared in Italy, had a total surface of 13,580.28 ft² Guinness was there to document the massive pie!
- Most pizza is eaten on Saturday.
- Most popular pizza topping is pepperoni.
cultural preferences find their way to the TOP
What are your favourite toppings?
- tomato sauce
- mozzarrella cheese
- raisins or currants
- black olives
- rocoto peppers
- tomato sauce
- onion (carmelized)
- green peppers
- mozza cheese
- processed meat
- MY FAVOURITE -
cast iron frying pan pizza
Step One: Buy or make pizza dough
Step Two: Prepare your toppings
Step Three: Let pizza dough rise aka proof
Step Four: Add 1 tbsp olive oil to frying pad then dust pan with cornmeal (prevent sticking). Shake salt, pepper and oregano or other italian seasoning you like onto bottom of pan.
Step Five: With oily hands and assisted by gravity, stretch pizza dough to fit in frying pan
Step Six: Turn stove top burner to medium heat and broiler to high
Step Six: Cover pizza dough with tomato sauce and favourite – prepared toppings. Complete this step within five minutes as your pizza dough is cooking and your pan is getting hot.
Note: YOUR PAN IS HOT! Remember to use oven mitts when cooking.
Step Seven: Once topped put into the oven (above you already turned the oven broiler on). Let cook for 5 – 7 minutes. Keep an eye on your pizza, when cheese is bubbling and crust edge is brown it is time to take out.
REMEMBER the pan it is hot. Put your oven mitts on!
Bloom is used to test the yeast, especially if yeast has been stored for some time. Blooming is also the process whereby active dry yeast is made ready to be used in a recipe. Blooming is not necessary when using fresh yeast and instant yeast.